Dr. John Zavala
|Dr. John Zavala
Dr. John Zavala grew up in Dallas, Texas and attended middle and high school at the Cistercian Preparatory School in Irving, Texas. He completed his college education at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio where he majored in History and completed his premedical studies.
Dr. Zavala earned his medical degree from the University of Texas - Southwestern Medical School where he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. He subsequently completed his Internship and Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC. While in residency, he served as administrative chief resident and was elected to participate in the American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leadership Forum. Following his residency training he was awarded a fellowship in Sports Medicine and Shoulder Reconstruction at the Steadman Hawkins Clinic of the Carolinas under the direction of renowned shoulder surgeon Richard Hawkins. He then completed a mini-fellowship in Ankle and Foot injuries under Angus McBryde at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama.
His research interests have included fixation in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions, multimodal analgesia in total knee arthroplasty, and complications of reverse shoulder athroplasty. He has presented at national meetings and published articles and book chapters on several orthopaedic subjects.
Dr. John Zavala is married to Sarah Katherine, a non-profit fundraiser, and they have three children. His interests outside of medicine include spending time with his family, golf, fishing, and traveling.
Professional Societies :
- Georgetown Orthopaedic Society
- Hawkins Shoulder Society
- American Sports Medicine Fellowship Society
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
Staff Privileges :
- Presbyterian Hospital of Rockwall
- Lake Pointe Medical Center
- Baylor Surgical Center at Heath
- Baylor Surgicare at North Garland
Team Coverage Experience :
- Chesnee High School, Chesnee, SC 2009-2010
- Colorado Rockies (MLB) - Spring Training Physician 2010
- Samford University, Birmingham, AL. - Women's Soccer
- University of Alabama (NCAA Div I) - Ankle and Foot Service